In this worksheet, we are going to deal with adding and subtracting large numbers where counting becomes impractical. This Addition and Subtraction of Large Numbers Worksheet includes different problems with answers and also covered different models of questions. Adding and Subtracting Large Numbers Worksheet also consists of solutions and also helps them to understand each and every topic. It includes standard problems, missing addends, place value arrangement, multi-digit addition or subtraction, missing digits, etc. to provide ample practice to students.
Adding and Subtracting Large Numbers Worksheet
1. Add 25678 and 76598?
Given numbers are 25678 and 76598
To make it easy, we will arrange numbers in columns and do addition in step by step manner, here we go
Step 1: Add the values of one digit i.e 8 + 8 = 16, now write 6 and carry 1 forward.
Step 2: Add the values of tens digit i.e 7 + 9 = 16, now add carry 1 to it, we get 17, write 7 and carry 1 forward.
Step 3: Add the values of hundreds digit i.e 6 + 5 = 11, adding carry 1 we get 12, now write 2 and carry 1.
Step 4: Add the values of thousands digit i.e 5 + 6 = 11, adding carry 1 we get 12, now write 2 and carry 1 forward.
Step 5: Add the values of ten thousand digit i.e 2 + 7 =9, adding carry 1 we get 10.
Therefore the sum is 102276.
2. Subtract 46672 from 75979?
Given numbers are 46672 and 75979
Always remember in subtraction, while arranging them in columns always write greater number above and smaller number below that.
Step 1: In ones column, subtract 9 and 2 i.e 9 – 2 = 7, write 7.
Step 2: In tens column, subtract the values i.e 7 – 7 = 0, write 0.
Step 3: From hundreds column, subtract the values i.e 9 – 6 = 3, write 3.
Step 4: From thousands column. subtract place value i.e 5 – 6 which is not possible, so borrowing takes place and we get 15 – 6 = 9, write 9.
step 5: After borrowing we have remained with 6 – 4 = 2, write 2.
Therefore, the difference is 29307.
3. Subtract the 4-digit smallest number from the 5-digit greatest number?
We know that,
4-digit smallest number = 1000
5-digit greatest number = 99,999
Arrange these numbers in columns in such a way that the greatest number is on top and the smallest number is below. From right to left, subtract each place value.
Step 1: Subtract 9 and 0 i.e 9 – 0 = 9, write 9.
Step 2: Subtract 9 and 0 i.e 9 – 0 =9, write 9.
Step 3: subtract 9 and 0 i.e 9 – 0 =9, write 9.
Step 4: Subtract 9 and 1 i.e 9 – 1 = 8, write 8.
Step 5. Write 9, will remain same.
The difference is 98999.
4. In an election 89878 votes are polled. There were three candidates in the election. Two of them got 28675 and 24677. How many votes were polled in favor of the third candidate?
Total number of votes polled = 89878
Number of votes polled for the first candidate = 28675
Number of votes polled for the second candidate = 24677
Votes polled for third candidate = Total number of votes – ( number of votes for 1st candidate + number of votes for 2nd candidate)
= 89878 – (28675 + 24677)
Therefore, the number of votes polled for the third candidate = 36526.
5. Mr.Peter wrote a book on fairy tales and released 50,976 copies. Because the book was popular among the readers, the publishers decided to publish the second edition with 25,678 copies. Find the total number of copies published?
Number of copies with first edition = 50,976
Number of copies with second edition = 25,678
Total number of copies published = 50,976 + 25,678
Therefore, the total number of copies published is 76,654.
6. In an Examination conducted by an educational organization. 18,56,987 students appeared for the exam. Out of them, 12,77,876 students cleared the exam. How many students failed the examination?
Total number of students appeared for the exam = 18,56,987
Number of students cleared the exam = 12,77,876
Number of students failed in the examination = Total number of students appeared in the exam – number of students cleared the exam
= 18,56,987 – 12,77,876
Therefore, the number of students who failed the examination are 5,79,111
7. What should be added to 453985 so that the sum becomes 1012598?
one number is 453985
let the other number is x
Total sum is 1012598
453985 + x = 1012598
x = 1012598 – 453985
The other number is 558613.
8. The cost of a car is Rs. 1265789. Raju has Rs.754832 with him. How much money does he need to borrow from the bank to buy the car?
Cost of a car = Rs.1265789
Raju has money of = Rs.754832
The money he needs to borrow from the bank = Cost of the car – Raju’s money
= 1265789 – 754832
Raju needs to borrow from the bank to buy the car of Rs.510957
9. 4545354 bags of rice are stored in the godown. 1525468 bags of rice are taken out in April and 1065723 bags of rice are taken out in may. How many bags of rice are leftover in the godown.
Total number of rice bags stored in godown = 4545354
Number of rice bags taken out in April = 1525468
Number of rice bags taken out in may = 1065723
Total number of rice bags taken out of godown are = Number of rice bags taken out in April + number of rice bags taken out in may
= 1525468 + 1065723
Remaining rice bags in the godown = Total number of rice bags stored in godown – total number of rice bags taken out of godown
= 4545354 – 2591191
The number of rice bags leftover in the godown is 1954163
10. In a town, there are 2 public libraries. The number of books in one library is 348386 and the number of books in another library is 517058. What is the total number of books in both libraries? How many more books does the second library have than the first?
The total number of books in the first library = 348386
The total number of books in another library = 517058
Total number of books in both the libraries = Number of books in the first library + Number of books in another library
= 348386 + 517058
The number of more books in the second library than the first = Number of books in the second library – Number of books in the first library
= 517058 – 348386
The total number of books in both the libraries is 865444.
The number of books in the second library than the first is 168672.