Wondering how to add two integers, don’t worry you landed upon a perfect page. This page will explain how to add two integers, what are rules to be followed, What are key points you should remember. Solved examples provided on the Addition of Integers make it easy for you to understand the concept.
Addition of Integers
Adding whole numbers is pretty easy because there are really only two possibilities. You will be either adding two positive numbers or subtracting two positive numbers. But adding two integers is more complicated because with negative numbers in the mix, there are a lot more possibilities.
Now that we know we have few possibilities. Let’s see what they are.
- The addition between two positive numbers.
- The addition between two negative numbers.
- The addition between a positive and a negative number.
Key Points to Remember while Adding Integers
Remember the below-mentioned key points whenever your performing addition on integers.
- Adding a negative is the same as subtracting a positive number, Which means if we are adding a negative number and subtracting the same positive number. The result obtained will be zero.
- Subtracting a negative is the same as adding a positive, Which means if we are subtracting a negative number and adding the same positive number. The result obtained will be zero.
Rules to Add Integers
Now we know possibilities and key points. Let’s see the rules which we need to follow to perform the addition of integers.
Rule 1: If the sign of both the integers is the same then we need to perform addition, and take the same sign for the obtained result.
Rule 2: If the sign of both the integers is different then you have to subtract those integers and take the sign of the largest integer for the obtained result.
Rules to Add Integers Examples
Example 1: Addition of two positive integers
Add 12 + 88
We are adding two positive integers, So according to our rule, we have to add both the integers and take the same sign for the result.
So, 12 + 88 = 100
Example 2: Addition of two negative integers.
Add (-78) + (-62).
We are adding two negative integers, So according to our rule, we have to add both the integers and take the same sign for the result.
So, (-78) + (-62) = (-140)
Example 3: Addition of two integers which are having a different sign.
Add (-105) + (25).
We have two integers with different signs, So according to the rule we need to subtract both the integers and take the sign of the largest number for the result.
So, (-150) + 25 = (-80).
FAQs on Rules of Addition of Integers
1. Can we add two integers which are having different sing?
Yes, we can add two integers having different sing.
2. What is 0 mean in integers?
Zero, is known as a neutral integer because it is neither positive nor negative.
3.What can be an integer?
An integer can always be a positive or negative whole number and a zero.
4. Can a fraction number be an integer?
No, a fraction number can’t be an integer.