Are you looking for the information regarding Addition? Here you can find complete information regarding Addition such as Definition, Related Terms, Facts. Get to know the interesting facts about addition in no time and learn how to apply them to your real-time math problems. You can understand the basic addition facts clearly with our clear-cut explanations provided.
Also, Read: Addition of Integers
When two or more numbers are added together it is called addition. The numbers that are added are called addends and the result to addition is called the sum. In an addition sentence, the addends are added to find the sum. The symbol used to indicate addition is plus(+). The addition of small numbers can be done using your fingers too.
For Example 2+2=4, 5+2=7, 3+3=6.
It is a mathematical expression that shows two or more values added together is called Addition Sentence. For example,
3,2 are addends
5 is the sum.
Basic Facts about Addition
Learn all about the Addition Facts by checking out the below points. They are as such
- The addition of small numbers can be done horizontally. 2+3+1=6, 4+2+1=7
- The addition of large numbers can be done vertically under the place value chart.
- A zero added to a number can not change the place value of a number.
- A zero added to any number does not change the sum. For example, 5+3=8, Here the sum is 8. Adding 0 to 8 doesn’t change the sum.
- If you add one to a number it gives the successor of the number as a sum.
- In an addition, changing the order of addends does not change the sum. For example 2+5+3=10,5+3+2=10,3+2+5=10.
- When adding more than two numbers we can add any two numbers it does not change the sum.
- To find the missing addend in the addition, Subtract the given addend from the sum.
Facts about Addition Examples
1. Add the Numbers 9532+2153+342?
- Write the numbers one below another as per places of the digits.
- Start adding numbers from units place. The sum is placed under one digit. If the sum is greater than 9, write the one’s digit under the ones and carry forward its tens digit to the tens column.
- Add the tens digit. If there was a carry forward digit add it along.
Th H T O
9 5 3 2
2 1 5 3
+1 3 4 2
13 0 2 7
2. Add Zero to 564?
3. Add 1 to 745?
Here 745,1 are addends
746 is the successor.
15+(85+5)=15+90 = 105 (or)
we can add any two numbers i.e. 15,5 or 85,5
5. Find the missing addend in the below example?
For finding the missing addend, subtract the given addend from the sum.
– 3 5
Addition Facts Examples
1. In a Basket, if there are 30 red balls and 10 blue balls. How many balls were there in the basket?
Add 30 red balls and 10 blue balls. There are 40 balls in the basket.
2. In a garden there are 25 red roses and 10 orange roses. How many roses were there in the garden?
Add 25 red roses and 10 orange roses. There are 35 roses in the garden.
3. In a class there are 50 boys and 50 girls. How many students were there in the class?
Add 50 boys and 50 girls. There are 100 students in the class.
4. In a Box there are 2o blue color chocolates and 40 red color chocolates. How many chocolates were there in the box?
There are 60 chocolates in the box.
FAQ’s on Addition Facts
1. Which sign is used for an addition?
The ‘+’ sign is used for an addition.
2. What we call the result after adding two numbers?
The result after adding two numbers is called a sum.
3. What is meant by addition?
Adding two or more numbers is called addition.
4. What are addends?
The numbers that are added are called addends.
5. Will the sum changes when 0 is added to the number?
The sum does not change, when zero is added.
Make your kids even more interested in Math Activities by taking help from our fun-learning Kindergarten Math Curriculum, Worksheets, Activities, Problems, Fun Games